Easter Weekend

The original plan was to have my family come down to see us for the weekend, but it ended up being another road trip for us to NJ-NY. I wasn’t complaining, I don’t travel up there enough so it’s nice to be on my old turf more than normal. I feel like we didn’t stop and rest the entire weekend, but it was so nice to see everyone when we otherwise wouldn’t get the opportunity to.


We typically do half of our food shopping on Friday nights because that is the quietest time to get everything we need from BJs without being trampled, or waiting in a 17 person line to check out. We also fill up the truck as well since it’s the cheapest gas in our area, especially for premium. Saturday was an early start, LJ decided 6am was a great time to start off the weekend. S woke up around 7:30, and LJ was back down for a nap at 8:30. Husband left for the gym, so after I got everyone situated and took two cold sips of my once hot cup of coffee, I finally got a shower for myself. We did the rest of our food shopping a few hours later, and came home so my husband could cook his meals for the week before we left. Our goal was to leave by 2pm, and by 2:34, we were on the road. By 2:38, we were in traffic. After a long trip up, we arrived at my parent’s house in NJ just before  5pm.

We had planned on having steaks, twice baked potatoes and salad for dinner, but the kids had other plans. S didn’t want to go to bed (weird) and we finally got everyone settled around 7:45. By the time we’d cook dinner, we would be eating around 9pm. So naturally we opted for Chinese food instead. We enjoyed a quick dinner and then I went to bed. Finally laying down at 10:02, LJ woke up at 10:05. This continued the entire night with me adjusting his position, replacing a pacifier, every 45 minutes or so. It was a long night. He was up for the day at 6:15am and S was right behind him, early risers for Easter Sunday. I had a horrible headache and it didn’t go away until Monday afternoon.


It was a long morning since we started so early, but we finally packed up the truck and made our way to Brooklyn to see my husband’s family for an early Easter dinner. We got there around 12:30. It was so nice to see everyone. Unfortunately, the four hours we spent there was slight torture for me from hearing the constant whine and cry from Logan who just wouldn’t settle down or go to anyone. I finally went to the car and got our Ergo carrier and was able to eat half of a plate of food. I’m so thankful at how independent S has become. She was amazing and had a blast. By 3:30pm, I couldn’t take it anymore. We were planning to make our exit at 4pm since we were driving straight back home from Brooklyn. At almost 4:30, we got to the car and made our way home. We hit some traffic, but nothing too crazy. Both kids fell asleep, thank goodness. Finally pulled into the garage at 7:45, and I couldn’t believe we had made it home before 8pm.


It was definitely the busiest 48 hours we’ve had in awhile but the point is, we handled it. I’m always so cautious about putting the kids through long car rides back-to-back. Who wants to do that willingly? I’m extremely grateful that our kids are great travelers. I’m not ready to do any crazy drives over four hours, but it was a good start. Having two kids gives you a different perspective on how to handle situations. It’s certainly eye-opening, but so far, not mind-numbing.  Hopefully we’ll be able to do a cute little family vacation in the future with the four of us, and not want to strangle each other 😉



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s